A tooth extraction would be necessary to remove a badly infected or damaged tooth. It will be removed in its entirety to prevent pain, the spread of the infection and avoid any further complications that it could cause. However, failing to fill the gap left by the missing tooth can hinder the mouth's functionality and ruin the appearance of the smile.
A dental implant is often considered the best way to replace a missing tooth. A titanium stud will serve as the tooth root, whereas a ceramic prosthetic will replace the tooth crown. It would look and function exactly like a natural tooth, making it the most sought-after tooth replacement solution.
How is the implant surgery carried out?
Initial screening: During the first appointment, we will take x-rays of the mouth to determine the positions of the teeth accurately, check for drifting of teeth and malocclusion, jawbone health, any deterioration or shrinkage of the bone, gum health, etc. Based on the observations, the candidacy for the implant will be decided.
Inserting the implant: Before the implant surgery, local anesthesia will be administered to numb the oral tissues. A slit is made on the gums to expose the bone. With the help of high-precision dental instruments, a small hole will be made in it to place the implant. During this entire process, you wouldn't feel any pain or discomfort as you would be under the influence of a sedative. The implant has screw-like grooves on its surface that helps it stay firmly adhered to the jawbone. Once it is inserted in place, the gums will be allowed to heal, and the jawbone would grow around the grooves of the implant and fuse with it. Hence, the dentist would suggest a healing period of a few months.
Attaching the ceramic crown: The crown would be fabricated in a dental laboratory using highly-durable dental-grade ceramic material. A connecting element called the abutment would be placed on the implant. It allows us to attach the crown to the implant. Dental adhesives will be used to attach the crown to the metal stud, after which a bite test will be conducted. It shows how well the implant is fitting in the mouth, and any changes, if required, will be made. It may be polished to enhance its appearance.
What are the advantages of implants?
- Implants are long-lasting. With optimum care, they last for many years without any trouble.
- Dental implantation has a high success rate. It is owing to the thorough screening procedure and the tests conducted to determine the candidacy.
- Implants hold the jawbone intact and keep it from getting deteriorated.
- Since implants fill the gap left by the missing tooth entirely, they keep the adjoining teeth from drifting from their positions.
- They are aesthetically very impressive. Since the ceramic crown can be personalized as required, it would stay under disguise and look exactly like a natural tooth.
- Implants have excellent stability, as the titanium stud holds the ceramic crown firmly in position.
- They offer great durability as well.
To know more, please get in touch with us through online consultation or by calling us at (317) 547-1111 to book an appointment with Dr. Sinnis at our office in Indianapolis, IN, and we'll guide you further.